Bow River Brewing is looking for an immediate hire of a full time Head Brewer.
Experience & Education Requirements:
- Professional Brewing: 1 year required in a commercial brewery, 2 years or more preferred
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Formal Brewing Education/Diploma (Strongly Preferred)
- Ability to work in Canada as a local (Calgary) resident
We are a privately owned and operated Craft Brewery in SE Calgary, making high quality and award winning beers for production and distribution throughout Alberta, along with special one-offs for our Brewery Taproom and some contract brews for other breweries.
We are looking for a long term creative and enthusiastic Brewer for our semi-automated 35 hL brewery as we continue to grow.
The position of Brewer will be mainly responsible for all phases of the brewing process/production and packaging, including brewing existing recipes consistently to the highest quality standards, housekeeping, batch documentation, recipe collaboration with the owners, quality control, sensory panel participation, brewery safety, ingredients management, development of new recipes and other tasks associated with the brewery. The position also includes cellaring and occasional flex overlap to infrequent taproom, event, or beer tasting participation.
All brewing packaging is done in-house on our own equipment. Familiarity with Cask canning systems is a big plus and kegging experience is required.
You should have a desire to learn new techniques and processes and apply them to improving ours. You should have reasonable mechanical aptitude and willingness to understand how things work, and how to maintain and fix them or take action to see that issues are addressed.
The Brewer may have a fair amount of interaction with customers and members of the public at beer tastings and trade shows and should be a good communicator who can assist to promote the beers being produced and the brewery itself.
Other Job Requirements:
- Training and supervising additional staff/team members who assist with brewery operations
- Ability to work and communicate well with staff and public
- Organized and detail oriented; accurate record-keeping skills
- Be a self-starter and manage time efficiently
- Be able to work on your feet for long periods of time.
- Be able to lift 30kg on a frequent basis.
- Possess or be able to obtain a forklift and skyjack license.
- Valid driver’s license
- Flexible schedule: weekdays/ weeknights/ weekends/ holidays occasionally as required
- Maintain Alberta ProServ certificate
- Lift 55 lbs. from ground to shoulder high
- Lift 110 lbs. from ground to waist high
- Climb stairs, ramps and ladders
- Work safely with chemicals with appropriate safety accommodations
- Comfortable with use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially excel
Job Type: Full-time
- Driver's License (Required)
- Proserv (Required)
If you are interested, please provide a cover letter with your application, letting us know why you think you are the right person for the job. Applications without cover letters may be discarded.
Start date is 'As soon as possible' as our existing brewer is leaving on excellent terms on September 7th and some overlap would be great.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,932.00-$55,000.00 per year
- Bonus pay
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Brewing: 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Calgary, AB (Required)
- English (Required)